AWF Members

HTML Image as link

Qries

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which laptop?
Question 
Hello all,

I am currently on the hunt for a new laptop to use on webcam as I have spoken to the people who run JustCamIt and they say my connection problems are due to me not have a powerful enough laptop. Sometimes I'm fine and other times I constantly loose connection on my Acer V5. Im told I need Windows 8/7/Vista/XP, 2.0 Ghz Dual Core CPU, 2 GB Ram, Webcam / video capture device, sound card. All these things go straight over my head, I am clueless.

What problem free laptops do you use?

Kind Regards Lily.
I would not trust AW when they say that as it's their standard method to blame performers for site problems. Just look for a laptop with at least an i5 core, preferably i7 if you can afford it. I too am clueless about these things but the i7 is the most powerful chip on the market, so any machine with that in will have the rest of the specs you are looking for. Gaming laptops are also a good bet as they tend to require the same sort of specs as we do for camming x
Thanks Katie, I have found an i5 to purchase. i7 is way to pricey for me. X
i5 processors are worthwhile, although it looks like it would or could be your broadband or your connectivity within reaching your modem than a problem with a 4gb ram & i3 computor. Your laptop should be ok.

Check your broadband & modem before shelling out £400 on a new laptop
Mines an i5, it's great just for camming, cpu sits at around 4%, only time I think you will run into any issues with one is when using any proffesional editing software for your videos, just make sure you have a decent gb of ram, as Katie & Natalie say 4GB I would say really is a minimum.
Ignore istreaming, one thing I will say is check your connection when directly plugged into your modem. This may totally eradicate all issues you are having as it did with me 4 years ago when I began camming and was clueless tech wise x
xXx My AW Profile xXx
xXx My Twitter xXx
Hi ladies,

I looked into the i7 but the prices made my eyes water lol.
I ordered a toshiba laptop, i5 Processor, 8Gb RAM and 750Gb Hard Drive.
I had no idea what CPU was, but I do now, mine runs at 100% so I take it that's bad news.
It now appears I need a wired connection too? Thank goodness for this forum or I would have given up already as I'm not on the private one Sad
Thank you for the advice everyone.

Lily
In the meantime if you cpu is still running at 100% try closing everything down, then go into task manager and check nothing is running in the backround, it may help until your new laptop arrives, or you could turn off audio for a while to lighten the load on your current laptop x
xXx My AW Profile xXx
xXx My Twitter xXx