Adultwork Forum

AWF Members

HTML Image as link

Qries

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New UKPunting BTC registration method risks potentially "outing" punters
Exclamation 
UKPunting members are super-paranoid about their real identity getting exposed and “outed” to the general public, therefore its incredible how many of them seem to be unaware or oblivious to the risks the new registration method may pose. (Please correct any wrong assumptions I make in the following post)...

As of April 2021 you need to make a payment of £25 (paid from a BTC wallet) to the site. After this your account on UKPunting goes live.

Back in May 2021 I tried to register totally anonymously on a Bitcoin exchange in order to send money to UKP without leaving any footprint to my actual identity. This proved problematic. You can't. While I was able to register using a fake name/email and even buy BTC from another seller on the exchange, it wouldn't let me pay UKP. I was prevented from sending money to anyone unless I disclosed my REAL identity to the Bitcoin exchange. This is according to UK rules.

So for anyone who does go ahead, the bitcoin exchange itself will know, for example, ‘John Smith’ who lives at ’12 Village Lane’ has sent money to x person. With very little effort the exchange can figure out who sent the money to whom. This is confirmed by a simple search online: “The identity of a wallet owner can be disclosed via exchanges. Personal data are usually required before exchange platforms are used to either buy or sell Bitcoin, hence, regulatory bodies can actually use such information like first and last name, email address and IP address to uncover the owner of a Bitcoin wallet using their address.” (Bitcoinist)

The question is, what name is UKPunting registered under? Has UKP admin been carefree enough to link the site to his real name? In that case it won’t matter because any transactions will be between “John Smith” (Member) and “David Davies” (for example) and UKP won't factor in the equation. But if admin is wary of linking his real name to UKP then UKP would (surely) be registered using a separate wallet with a separate name. So “John Smith” may be sending money to “UKPunting” depending on what the wallet is labelled as.

And how trusting are we that exchanges do not sell on this information on to third parties or reveal them to banks for KYC? For example, you have a physical account with Barclays and you have verified your BTC account using a bank statement. Now after KYC your bank will be aware you are registered with x exchange and have sent money to x website. Will the bank be interested in tracking your future activity? Unlikely but never say never. There have been cases of UK banks closing bank accounts of people registered with Bitcoin exchanges, therefore banks can track activity if they want to.

The question is, what can UKP as the seller of services (its forum) know about you (the buyer)? At the very least your real IP will get linked to your BTC wallet. A forum like UKP sees all IP addresses and will know roughly where you live (if not exactly). UKP doesn’t allow any wary or security-obsessed punters the option to hide location through VPNs, you have to use an unmasked IP (your home IP) to register and use the site. Therefore someone called “John Smith” may register using a generic username “MaccieDave101” however with a bit of digging its not impossible that UKP admin may be able to identify MaccieDave101's REAL NAME through the Bitcoin exchange and link it with his IP. The question is how safe and secure these exchanges are with your personal info. Truth is there is very little we can be sure of.

IMO its remarkable so many of these new members are so trusting in the BTC registration process. If UKP had punters’ anonymity at heart they’d at least allow registration with more anonymous methods – i.e. payment through gift cards being one example.
Wink 
The forum is completely gash anyway. Tongue
(24-08-2022, 15:37)PervertedPakistani Wrote: UKPunting members are super-paranoid about their real identity getting exposed and “outed” to the general public, therefore its incredible how many of them seem to be unaware or oblivious to the risks the new registration method may pose. (Please correct any wrong assumptions I make in the following post)...

As of April 2021 you need to make a payment of £25 (paid from a BTC wallet) to the site. After this your account on UKPunting goes live.

Back in May 2021 I tried to register totally anonymously on a Bitcoin exchange in order to send money to UKP without leaving any footprint to my actual identity. This proved problematic. You can't. While I was able to register using a fake name/email and even buy BTC from another seller on the exchange, it wouldn't let me pay UKP. I was prevented from sending money to anyone unless I disclosed my REAL identity to the Bitcoin exchange. This is according to UK rules.

So for anyone who does go ahead, the bitcoin exchange itself will know, for example, ‘John Smith’ who lives at ’12 Village Lane’ has sent money to x person. With very little effort the exchange can figure out who sent the money to whom. This is confirmed by a simple search online: “The identity of a wallet owner can be disclosed via exchanges. Personal data are usually required before exchange platforms are used to either buy or sell Bitcoin, hence, regulatory bodies can actually use such information like first and last name, email address and IP address to uncover the owner of a Bitcoin wallet using their address.” (Bitcoinist)

The question is, what name is UKPunting registered under? Has UKP admin been carefree enough to link the site to his real name? In that case it won’t matter because any transactions will be between “John Smith” (Member) and “David Davies” (for example) and UKP won't factor in the equation. But if admin is wary of linking his real name to UKP then UKP would (surely) be registered using a separate wallet with a separate name. So “John Smith” may be sending money to “UKPunting” depending on what the wallet is labelled as.

And how trusting are we that exchanges do not sell on this information on to third parties or reveal them to banks for KYC? For example, you have a physical account with Barclays and you have verified your BTC account using a bank statement. Now after KYC your bank will be aware you are registered with x exchange and have sent money to x website. Will the bank be interested in tracking your future activity? Unlikely but never say never. There have been cases of UK banks closing bank accounts of people registered with Bitcoin exchanges, therefore banks can track activity if they want to.

The question is, what can UKP as the seller of services (its forum) know about you (the buyer)? At the very least your real IP will get linked to your BTC wallet. A forum like UKP sees all IP addresses and will know roughly where you live (if not exactly). UKP doesn’t allow any wary or security-obsessed punters the option to hide location through VPNs, you have to use an unmasked IP (your home IP) to register and use the site. Therefore someone called “John Smith” may register using a generic username “MaccieDave101” however with a bit of digging its not impossible that UKP admin may be able to identify MaccieDave101's REAL NAME through the Bitcoin exchange and link it with his IP. The question is how safe and secure these exchanges are with your personal info. Truth is there is very little we can be sure of.

IMO its remarkable so many of these new members are so trusting in the BTC registration process. If UKP had punters’ anonymity at heart they’d at least allow registration with more anonymous methods – i.e. payment through gift cards being one example.

I think that website ukpunting is a front for UK 'security' services monitoring people.  You can't even login whilst using a VPN, and can only register with Bitcoin.  It is totally the opposite of privacy.  They get a lot of traffic though.  Who's going to come up with a website to rival them?  I could tell you some stuff
I had an account on there years ago. At the time, I was Kaffeine Monsta.

I noticed you cannot use a VPN either, which is annoying.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Critical look/evaluation of the UKPunting forum for punters PervertedPakistani 2 8,000 01-03-2018, 00:47
Last Post: Rambo was a pussy!